As an avid improviser and actress, I have learned how to visit my child’s WORLD of IMAGINATION and I can tell you that it is so much FUN.
Being able to imagine and play with my kids, VISIT their world, is the most rewarding GIFT I can enjoy each day. Walt Disney said it best: “Who Says we have to grow up?”
Here are some of the PRETEND games that you can try out with your kids:
- Superhero Adventures: Each person playing gets to pick a superhero persona, you can use real props and costumes or just imagine what they look like. I like the idea of imagining my costume because then it can be as extravagant as I want it to be. Take some time to play superhero adventures, fight crime, fly through the jungle, or over buildings and save the princess or prince from danger. There is no wrong adventure that can be imagined.
- Librarian or teacher hour: We all have that child that absolutely LOVES BOOKS or reading. This is the best game to play. Give them a chance to teach you about a book they like, or a subject matter. Depending on their age, they can create fun worksheets or activities for you to do as their student, or read you a story and then re enact it together to summarize the plot. Get creative, if your child enjoys teaching, they have this skill already.
- Indoor Camp out FUN: Or if you like the outdoors, by all means, take it outside. Set up a fun camping area, it can even be done with pillows and blankets. Have a fun secret knock or phrase to get into the “fort”, pretend you are on an adventure to find a magical object. You have to make sure that no one can find you because there are other people after the object too. You can even have someone that is not playing, hide the object for you and your child, Makes the hunting even more authentic and FUN.
- Play dough Restaurant or Bakery: My little one, LOVES playdough. For this game, just dedicate a bit of time and pretend to visit your child’s restaurant or bakery. THey will have so much fun making you cupcakes, or burgers. This is also a great chance to teach them about money, and how to give back change. You can take any of these games and use them as TEACHABLE MOMENTS for your child.
- Grocery Store Treasure Hunt: This one is for a child that is reading and able to cross of items on a list. Bring your child to the grocery store and tell them that you are both pretending to be on a treasure hunt for the items on the list. You can use Pirate voices while shopping or put on fun hats or scarfs. You can even buy them a small prize at the end of your trip as a reward for finding all of the treasures on the list. Use this time to discuss prices for items, and how state tax works. Believe it or not, kids are more likely to listen and learn when it is related to the REAL WORLD.
- Bubble Dance Party: Who doesn’t LOVE Bubbles? Put on some tunes, blow some bubbles and have a dance party. This is also great for exercising and learning new moves. Talk to your child about the importance of moving your body and exercising daily. Show them some of the cool moves from your childhood.
- Pretend Art Teacher Class: For those of you who have that little artist in your life, this is a fun game for them. Have some art supplies ready and tell them that they are going to be the art teacher today. Have them walk you through one of their fun painting creations. Make sure to encourage them and celebrate their suggestions, this will help them get even more creative and have a good time. You can discuss how mixing primary colors can make different colors. Or discuss shapes and how they can help with drawing different pictures.
Stay tuned for more fun activity ideas and books for 2017. 🙂
Check out our books and calendar: